Sunday, September 17, 2006

Being poor is definately not my favorite thing about my life right now. I also know that it is just a season in our life, more or less. In that I am working and Andrew is basically not working much to speak of, but we are paying for him to go to Seminary full time (no loans). I know it is "just one of those things" that goes along with going into minsitry. This season may or may not change, actually. Some ministers are very very poor, even when they're out of school doing doing FT ministry. But...I pretty much HATE the fact that I can't go home for Christmas...or at this point, any time, ever, in the forseeable future. suuuuuuuuuuuuuucks. I hate that I had to back out of my friend's wedding. I hate that we can't have a "date" to go see a movie for example, or even rent one. My life is great because of the gospel. For that, I am truely grateful. I wouldn't change my life for someone else's if I could. I really do love my life. But I'm not gonna lie...having less than no money all the time feels terrible, and it is immensely difficult every day. And it doesn't feel the greatest when you constantly have to tell people that you can't do this or that, when they invite you to do something, or can't get this or that when they suggest something, because you still have no money...and they've seemingly forgotten the last 5 times you told them the same thing...or maybe they just thought you were exagerating. (This happens with many people.) It is a constant reminder every time that happens that you are still poor.

But...it was made a little bit better when today, we got to "celebrate" our three month anniversary by going to Bed Bath and Beyond and ended up spending most of our gift card. That was good times. I got a combo blender/food processor that I'm excited to try out.

Does it make me a complete nerd that I chose to stay in tonight and read the entire manuel instead of going to watch a movie with some girls? Granted, the movie was "gone with the wind" and I wouldn't be caught dead watching that. But anyway....I still might have stayed in and read the thing, even if it would have been a good movie. Thats how excited I about my new Cuisinart.

I also got a steamer. like a double pot thing with the steamer insert? yeah. i'm excited about that too. And another pot holder. and this thing so i can wash andrew's nasty arse hats.

we also got a couple picture frames for wedding pictures for our walls! HOORAY! did you know we have NOTHING On our walls? literally. well except for paint. we don't even have curtains. anyway. i'm excited to put some wedding pictures up.

AND. this might be the best part. This might not sound so exciting to you, but we FINALLY found a vinyl tablecloth that wasn't butt-ugly. its actually quite nice. and it was only THREE. DOLLARS. seriously. this is a big deal, you guys. i've been looking for one for months. for maybe probably a year.

you know what. I'd much rather be poor and married to Andrew than have plenty of money and be living my life without him. I love that man so stinking much it hurts.

4 Comments:

At 10:47 PM, Blogger Hunter said...

Did Ariel go see Gone With the Wind? I feel like that would be a movie she would want to see. She's like that, you know; Pride and prejudice, Sense and Sensability, Emma, Gone With the Wind...

;)

Take care, Dena.

--Grace and Peace--

- Hunter

 
At 8:13 AM, Blogger Dena said...

you know...I don't know for sure if she was watching it or not. But I would assume so, since I think the group of girls watching it was at her apt. ha. i just heard "gone with the wind" and kindly stayed in my apt. i didn't care to find out who was watching it. haha.

anything new? ;)

 
At 10:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this post. And I feel you on every level lol. It's tough, but it's worth it, isn't it? Love you. :)

 
At 11:01 AM, Blogger Rebecca said...

Dena, you should try out the grocery game (www.thegrocerygame.com). You can get a trial subscribtion for $1, and you could end up saving a LOT on groceries with it. I've saved a ton, seriously.

Anyway, I just figured I'd suggest it, since I know that groceries are something you always have to buy, even when you have no money for anything else. It has helped me a lot because it makes grocery shopping fun for me, and I no longer get a headache after shopping due to the enourmous amount of money I just spent on things that we had to have. Grocery shopping is my favorite thing, now, because I regularly save 50-75% on my bill, and that makes it so much fun!

(Also, I think you said you have a Kroger near you... if they double/triple coupons like they do for me, you could save SO MUCH... I have 9 containers of oatmeal that I got for FREE last week... you can do a lot with oatmeal!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home